Thursday, December 22, 2011

DIY: Spray Shirt

I have way too much time on my hands. That should be pretty evident by how many times I post here a day. Whatever. A problem for another day! Because for now, it's DIY time :)
I've noticed of late that I'm having a hard time finding shirts I really like. My grandmother gave me an entire bag of clothes last summer, and I hadn't even done anything with any of them. I found this plain blue shirt in the bag, and had a sort of midnight too much caffeine for one day idea.
I'm usually not one for band T-shirts: I hate it when people sport them after hearing maybe two of the songs from the artists. But I recently found this Au Revoir Simone and fell in love. It's the subject of my little needle point! (see one post down) So like any compulsive, I went on youtube, found a playlist with 50 of their songs, and hit play. I must say, it was one of the most charming experiences I've had recently. I don't know if I've ever taken to a band so quickly. SO! With materials from my "Good Morning to You" painting (again, see one post down), I made my own little Au Revoir Simone homage. If you'd like something similar, this all you need :)

MATERIALS
-Shirt of basic color/pattern
-Stencil letters. Mine are from Hobby Lobby. They were five dollars and I've already used them for three projects.
-Black spray paint. Go to Home Depot. They have the beautiful gift of 99 cent black and white spray paint. 

It's pretty easy from there! Just lay down your letters and spray :) Make sure you are, of course, doing this in a well ventilated area, where there is no way to stain anything important. Like, I don't know, outside.
I hope you have fun with the idea, and until next time, let the moon sweep down to meet you.

-Trina Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment