Tuesday, December 20, 2011

DIY: Stitched Clutch

Last post for today: I swear. Yesterday I went over to one of my favorite thrift spots, and picked up this adorable little purse. It was a mustardy yellow, kind of pleathery. I loved the purse, hated the strap: when it comes to straps, I want the drop down to my waist or not at all. This one  just barely fit over my shoulder. I decided to chop off the strap, and go with a chunky clutch. I had some left over yarn from another thrift haul, and I decided to stitch something on the bag. I pulled a little inspiration from this tutorial from A Beautiful Mess (another AMAZING blog, btw). But instead of a bud or leaf pattern, I went with more of a picture.
I decided on a pair of mounted antlers. I'm a bit antler obsessed this winter, and I thought this would be a perfect thing to stitch onto a clutch. And I must say, I'm smitten with the final product. If you're interested in having one of these yourself, stay tuned for the tutorial :)

MOUNTED ANTLER STITCHED CLUTCH

MATERIALS
-Thrifted or older clutch that you're okay with possibly messing up
-Embroidery needle with a large eye
-Thick thread in your chosen colors
-A picture for reference


After that it's pretty self explanatory. I did my design free hand, but if you're new to needle point then you may want to just tack a pattern onto your bag with a fine point pen or something. Also, if you're planning mounted deer antlers, make sure you mirror it on both sides so it doesn't look misshapen. Make your design as big or as small as you want! Don't feel boxed in by the antler idea: if it's not your thing, try a floral pattern or even a favorite saying. The possibilities are endless. I hope you try this tutorial out :)
Until next time, sometimes summer wears away
when we want to see the sky.

-Trina Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment