Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The most precious relics

I took several things from my grandmother's home when I left. I decided I'd share the beautiful heirlooms that I collected in my time there. 
I carried my treasures away in this set of brown wicker nesting chests that my grandmother had in her garage. I think I may turn them into storage for clothing that isn't season current. Or maybe I'll turn them into hope chests. Either way, I loved how beautiful they were, and I always remember them hanging out in her garage. 
This is the smaller of the chests. The glass boot was a staple in the room that I always slept in. She had a set of two, and kept pens and other oddities in them. I got one, and my cousin did as well. There is also a very adorable, 70's floral print table cloth. I can't wait to put it on my own table. At the top left hand, I have one of my grandfather's vintage fedoras. I know. An Italian in a fedora. It's so cliche. But who gives a crap?
I found these amazing little mugs above her fridge. I was always such a little forager when it came to her house. She had such incredible treasures tucked away in the strangest places. I found a set of 13, and can't wait to host a party with them. I'm sure she used them for Irish coffees 30 years ago.
I found the hand painted porcelain jar with a cork cover in another kitchen cabinet. It was love at first site.
The last piece in the little chest were her embroidered napkins. I don't know when I'll ever use them, but I couldn't leave without them.
Now to the larger chest.
 The quilt print pillowcase I just happened upon in one of the spare rooms. I love it though. On the right is another of my grandfather's fedoras. The birds at the base of the chest are super old wall hanging decorations. Sam and I are planning to mount them over our front door.
One of the first things I added to this chest was the beautiful portrait done of my great grandmother, Mama Cook. This was done in 1949, in Chattanooga! I want to hang it somewhere in my room. 
This is probably one of my favorite things of hers. I've seen this tiny glass blue birds since I was a child. My mother had to stand on a chair to get them from the high shelve, but every time I see them, I think about her.
I found these stone platter soup mugs along with the Irish Coffee mugs. There are about 16 of these. I need to have a soup and coffee party. Official. Below the soup mugs is her beautiful crochet table cloth. I found that little number in her silver cabinet.
The last thing is this flower branch wall art. This matches the birds in the earlier photo. These hung in her dining room for as long as I can remember, and I can't wait to hang them in my own home and look at them everyday. 
That's all for now. Until next time, collect your treasures.
-Trina Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment