Thursday, September 18, 2014

Cleaning Brass Jewelry

So I've been on this delicate jewelry trend for a while now. 
Midi rings, very breakable gold necklaces, tiny bands with tiny stones, you name it. Problem is, if you buy it from Forever 21, the gold covering will rub off within 1 month and your finger will turn green.
Ick.
So, since I don't want green fingers, I buy my delicate jewelry from a local store, Homegrown Silver and Stone. They have sterling silver and gold filament jewelry with brass accents, and it's really nice stuff. Their stuff holds up really well - I've had a couple of their rings for two years now and they aren't showing any sign of decay or tarnish. (Here's a link to their Etsy store if you guys want to check them out)
Well.
Except for my brass stuff.

Brass is different from sterling and gold: it gets dirtier quicker and you can't let it get wet, or it will show signs of damage. The good news is that you can clean your brass jewelry really easily with stuff you have in your house! I actually found this method on Jewlry making Journal and I wanted to share my awesome results!!

Materials:
Displaying IMG_20140918_180124065.jpg 
-Mild soap
-Olive oil
-Worcestershire sauce
-Qtips
-Cotton balls
-Running water

Steps:

Displaying IMG_20140918_175337299_HDR.jpg
-First you'll need to wet your jewelry and use a Qtip (or a soft toothbrush) to scrub it a bit.
-Rinse all the soap off. It should look shinier already!
-Drop some of the worcestershire sauce onto a Qtip. Scrub softy in a circular motion for 30 seconds or so.
-Wash off all the sauce and dry your jewelry thoroughly.
-Put a little olive oil onto a cotton ball and dab it onto the jewelry.

Here's my before and after:

Displaying IMG_20140918_175649195_HDR.jpg 

I was pretty amazed with the results of this little experiment, so I just cleaned all my jewelry!

Displaying IMG_20140918_180605812.jpg

All the jewelry above is from Homegrown Silver and Stone. Definitely check them out if you like any of it!

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment